A granite rock at the side of the road to Middleton Beach bears an uncanny resemblance to the head of a labrador dog. This famous landmark is popular with photographers.
Vancouver Arts Centre
This historic building, a hospital designed in the 1880s by George T Poole, is now used for painting, spinning, weaving, stained glass, pottery, workshops and more. The gallery houses a variety of exhibitions open to the public.
WA Museum Albany (Residency Museum)
Built in the early 1850s, the museum had a variety of uses before it became a branch of the WA Museum in 1975, the first outside Perth.
Replica of the Amity Brig
In 1975, craftsmen using timber from local forests built a replica of the Brig that brought Albany's first settlers from Sydney in 1826. An inspection below decks will inspire wonder at how such a tiny vessel coped with 60 men plus livestock.
Albany's Old Gaol was built in 1851 as a convict hiring depot and became the district gaol in 1872. In the early 1930s it became a storehouse; it was restored in 1968. Visit www.historicalalbany.com.au for further information.
Patrick Taylor Cottage
This cottage, of wattle-and-daub construction, was built in Duke Street about 1832 and is one of the oldest buildings still standing in Albany.
Old Post Office
One of Albany's treasures, this immaculately restored building reminds many of the old coaching days of England. Planned in 1866, it was opened in 1870. The Old Post Office now houses the University of WA Albany Centre.
Old Farm Strawberry Hill
The original wattle-and-daub cottage was built on the site of the Government Farm in 1831. The present two-storey stone structure was built in 1836 as the private home of the Government Resident at Albany, Captain Sir Richard Spencer. It is recognised as an important part of Western Australia's heritage. Try the popular Devonshire teas during your visit.
A steep winding road reaches almost to the top of Mt Clarence, from which the views are breathtaking. It is an appropriate place for the Desert Mounted Corps Memorial, a recast of the original statue erected at Suez in 1932.