Skip to Content

Building Services

The City of Albany's Building Services team is responsible for ensuring that State Government building regulations, for residential and business, are administered in accordance with the Building Code of Australia, and that relevant town planning requirements and local building laws are adhered to.

Our team assists in protecting the community from major risks to life and property, and in ensuring the sustainability of our built environment.

Our role in building services includes:

  • Assessing the key building risks and issuing permits,
  • Compliance,
  • Providing advice on building matters,
  • Building Certification.

We can assist you with submitting an application for:

Appointments may be required with a Building Surveyor if our Development Services Information team cannot assist with your enquiry.

The Building Commission have produced a document called 'A Guide to the Building Approvals Process' to assist you with the building approval process.

Building Permits

A building permit is required for all structures (residential, commercial or industrial) before any building work can be carried out.

This includes (but is not limited to):

  • New works
  • Alterations
  • Additions
  • Swimming pools & spas (above and below ground)
  • Safety barriers and fencing for pools/spas
  • Patios
  • Sheds

A Building Permit must be issued prior to commencement of any work.

Different types of building work have different requirements when lodging an application for a building permit.

The Building Act 2011 requires a Certificate of Design compliance signed by a registered building surveyor to be obtained before a building permit can be issued.

For residential (class 1 and 10) buildings you can apply for an uncertified building permit (BA2), and the City of Albany will complete the Certificate of Design Compliance (CDC) as part of the building permit process. Alternatively you can engage a private certifier to issue the CDC as part of a certified building permit application (BA1).

For commercial (class 2 to 9) buildings a CDC must be obtained and a certified application (BA1) submitted.

For more information regarding the requirements of the Building Act 2011 and the Building Regulations 2012 please refer to the Building Commission website.

Guidelines for liveable housing

The City of Albany Seniors Committee initiated the Liveable Housing Guidelines in October 2012 to provide seniors with helpful information when planning to renovate or build a home. To find out more, please see our Accessible & Inclusive Communities Page.

Liveable Housing Design Guidelines

Copies of approved building plans

Copies of approved building plans are kept in the City of Albany archives. More recent plans are stored electronically. If you need a copy of these plans, we can search the records held and provide a copy to you. You will need to complete a search request form, signed by the owner of the property and pay the applicable fee. See 'Request for Building Plans' form below which also lists fees.

Building Services: Request for Building Plans

Erecting scaffolding, building work impeding footpath, car bays or street

Application form requesting approval to deposit building material on, erect scaffolding or excavate near a street.  Submit with site plan.  If footpath or car bays are to be blocked, a Traffic Management Plan is required to be submitted with this application. The fee is $1 per month or part of a month for each m2 of the area of the street enclosed by any hoarding, fence or scaffold.

Application to deposit building material on, erect scaffolding or excavate near a street

Sign licences

See 'Signs' page for more information.  You may need Development Approval before you apply for a sign licence.

Smoke alarms, spas and carports

The purpose of this guideline is to provide information regarding smoke alarms, safety barriers and building permits for spas, and clarify that carports require a building permit.

For information on installing a swimming pool or spa, please view the Building Commission website.

Smoke Alarms, Swimming Pools & Spas and Carport Information Sheet

Verges Vegetation

Vegetation on road verges between the road and adjacent private property boundaries plays an important part in the ecological processes of areas.

To ensure verges are managed appropriately, the City of Albany requires residents to apply for a permit before undertaking any works within a verge. There are three types of permits available, depending on the types of works proposed. There is no cost associated with applying for a verge permit.

Fence line clearing application – This application is for when residents wish to maintain or construct a new boundary fence and require vegetation to be cleared on the road verge. This application must also be used if your boundary fence adjoins a Council reserve. A maximum of 1.5 metres may be cleared inside the verge/ reserve.

Verge Development application – This application is for when residents wish to improve their adjoining verge using landscaping or other works. All improvements must abide by a minimum construction standard and must not interfere with vehicle and pedestrian safety or public utilities. A condition of this permit is that the applicant (adjoining resident) is responsible for the ongoing maintenance of the verge.

Crossover application – This application is for when residents wish to construct a driveway between the roadway and the private property. Crossovers must be built to a minimum construction standard. Council may contribute a subsidy towards the first crossover of a property in the form of cash or concrete drainage pipes.

For more information download the Verge Vegetation Information Sheet