FAQ (Waste)

What goes in which bin?

What goes in which bin?

 Contact Cleanaway on 1300 784 468 for more information.

Supply of mobile garbage bins

The City of Albany does not supply or facilitate the supply of mobile garbage bins (MGBs) to residential property owners.

Residential property owners are required to purchase and provide their own MGBs to participate in the kerbside waste collection service.

MGBs and parts can be purchased from Plastics Plus and Cleanaway.

  • General waste: 140L green bin with red lid (140L blue bins are also still used)
  • Recycling: 240L green bin with yellow lid
  • Green waste: 240L black bin with lime-green lid

Disability Service

If you are having trouble moving your bin to and from the kerbside for collection due to permanent or temporary immobility you can apply for the disability service. As part of this service, the driver will collect your bin from your residence, take it to the truck to empty and then return it on your usual bin days. To apply for the disability service you must make an appointment with your doctor who will determine if it is required. Your doctor will then send a letter to the City of Albany who will advise the waste contractor Cleanaway of your name and address details. Once confirmed and approved the City of Albany will advise you of the commencement date.

I've put two bins out, why didn't the driver empty both bins?

To apply for a second bin to be collected from your property, you or the owner of the property must pay for a second collection within the property's rates. Please phone 6820 3000 to arrange this.

I've just built a house; how do I get a bin service?

Your Builders Completion Notice must be submitted to the City of Albany office by you or your builder. The Rates department will advise our waste collection contractor Cleanaway of your new property and you can then place bins on the verge for collection.

Will my bin day change if it falls on a public holiday?

Bins will be collected on their usual days throughout the entire year (including Christmas). Please make sure your bins are out before 6am.

What time do I put my bin out?

Bins must be out before 6am on your collection day to avoid it being missed if there is a change of driver or route. The best time to put your bin out is the night before.

Can I put shredded paper into the recycle bin?

No. Though paper is recyclable, shredded paper is hard to bale and pick up off the recycle belt. The best way to dispose of shredded paper is in a worm farm or compost. Otherwise it must be disposed of in your general waste bin.

Why is my bin lid broken?

Expected bin life is about 10 years. Many blue and green waste bins were distributed in 2004 and recycle bins are around 20 years old. The most common type of wear and tear occurs when pins holding the lid on wriggle out causing one side to falls out and the other side to snap off during lifting. New lids and pins can be purchased and replaced for a small cost from Cleanaway or Plastics Plus.

Why has the wheel come off my recycle bin?

The older green recycle bins were previously used as general waste bins prior to the introduction of the smaller 140L bins so they are close to 20 years old! The wheels fall off due to the axles rusting out, resulting in the pin holding the wheel onto the axle coming loose. If the axle is rusted it is recommended that a new set of wheels and an axle is replaced. These can be purchased for a small cost from Cleanaway or Plastics Plus.

Where can I buy parts for my bins?

It is up to the owner of the property to maintain bins. Spare parts such as lids, wheels, axles and pins can be purchased from Cleanaway and Plastics Plus.

Why couldn't the green waste truck lift my bin?

The trucks are able to lift up to 70kg maximum. During winter, green waste bins sometimes exceed this limit due to wet grass clippings being put into the bins and squashed down. If you struggle to push your green waste bin to the kerb due to its weight, chances are that it exceeds 70kg! If you feel the bin is more than 70kg, take some of it out and put it aside until the bin has been emptied. If you have a large amount of green waste you can take it to Vancouver Waste for $19 per cubic metre or use the free pass that accompanies your annual rates notice.

Can I take green waste to Hanrahan Road?

Green waste is not accepted at Hanrahan Road unless it is contaminated. Green waste must be taken to Vancouver Waste located on John Street.

Where can I take unwanted chemicals and paint tins?

Residents can take chemicals, paint tins as well as fluoro light globes and batteries to Fossicker's Tip Shop where they are placed in the Household Hazardous Waste section for removal. Chemical containers must still have their labels so they can be identified. Commercial businesses must arrange removal of their own hazardous waste, there are small businesses in town who deal with this.

What do I do with Household Hazardous Substances?

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) can be taken to Hanrahan Road Waste Facility. Download the Household Hazardous Waste flyer for a list of accepted items.

What do I do with asbestos?

Asbestos disposal is only available at Hanrahan Road Waste Facility. Read the information below before taking your asbestos for disposal.

Asbestos Disposal Guidelines

Health: Asbestos and asbestos containing material (ACM) removal & disposal procedure information sheet

What will it cost me to dispose of rubbish at the waste facilities?

Link to current charges

What do I do with septic/sewerage waste?

The City does not deal with septic or sewage waste, please call a licensed liquid waste carrier.

I still have questions. Who can I talk to?

For queries or concerns with your kerbside bin collection please phone Cleanaway on 1300 784 468.

For other queries please phone 6820 3000 3000 or email fossickers@albany.wa.gov.au.