Skip to Content


Advertising Signage

Signage is used for the purpose of advertising and includes advertisements and advertising devices. These include any object or structure which advertises businesses, functions, operations, developments etc.

The City of Albany is responsible for ensuring advertising signage is consistent in design and quality and that it does not cause any hazards or obstructions to pedestrians or motorists.

On this page


Do I need approval? 

Planning approval

If your sign does not meet the design standards in the Signs Local Planning Policy, then you will need development approval. 

For a full list of signs which are exempt, see Schedule 5 of the Local Planning Scheme No. 1.

Please note: Where development approval is needed, this should be obtained prior to applying for a sign licence through Building.

Planning: Signs Policy

Building - sign licence

A sign licence is required for all signs unless it is mentioned as exempt in the City of Albany's Signs Local Law - Section 16 Licence Exemptions.

Signs Local Law 2006


Lodging an application       


1. Complete the following forms:

  • Application for Development Approval

Development Application Form

  • Additional information for Development Approval Advertisements 

Additional Information for DA for Advertisements

2. Relevant fees 

3. Two copies of site plan - show location of sign

4. Two copies of floor plan - if appropriate

5. One copy of elevations - showing dimensions and location of all signs.

For forms, fees and to submit your application refer to Development Applications page.

Development Applications


1. Complete and sign the Sign Licence Application form

Sign Licence Application

2. Relevant fees

3. One copy of plans drawn to scale of not less than 1:50 showing size, position, design and inscription to appear, the method of construction and fixing of the sign for which the license is sought

4. Detailed Structural drawings (signed by a Practicing Structural Engineer).

For fees and to submit your application refer to Applications - Building Permits page.

Applications - Building Permits