Skip to Content

Development (Planning) Applications & Property Zoning

On this page


Lodgement information

Our Planning Services team offers guidance and information during the development application process. We suggest talking to our staff prior to lodgement to help speed up your application. Contact our friendly staff today!

Before lodging your application, please check the following:

  • Check the property zoning
  • Application details are complete
  • Complete the related checklist
  • Advertising signage? Refer to our Signs page
  • Contact us with any queries prior to submitting

Email    6820 3040

Email    [email protected]

People   North Road office  -  Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.00pm

Application Forms

 Application Checklists

 Application Information Sheets & Example Plans

Development Timeline

Purchasing land to occupancy timeline

Lodging an application

The easiest and fastest way to lodge a development application is via online or by email. Once submitted, an Information Officer will contact you for credit card details over the phone. Please do not disclose credit card details with emailed applications.


Email Applications

To lodge an application via email - complete and include the relevant application form (linked below) and include required attachments.

email [email protected]

WAPC website

The Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) 

WAPC Website 

Property Zoning

What’s My Property Zone

The zoning of a property determines what it can and can not be used for as well as what can and can not be built on it. Using the on-line mapping module you can find the zoning for any property within the City of Albany.

What is an R-Code

The Residential Design Codes (R-Codes) is a State Planning Policy which provides a comprehensive basis for the control of residential development throughout Western Australia. The R-Codes aims to address emerging design trends, promote sustainability, improve clarity and highlight assessment pathways to facilitate better residential design outcomes throughout Western Australia.

An R-Code indicates the density and design guidelines that should apply to each lot within the residential zone and is shown on the local planning scheme maps.

For more information about R-Codes please visit the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage website.

Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage

Subdivision and Land Development

The Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) is responsible for determining all subdivision/amalgamation and survey strata applications in Western Australia. See the City's Subdivision and Land Development web page and WAPC website below.

Subdivision and Land Development WAPC Website