Pensioner & Senior Rate Rebates

The Government of Western Australia provides a rebate to persons who meet the eligibility criteria set out under the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992.

Am I eligible for a Pensioner or Seniors rate rebate?

If you hold one of the following cards, are a property owner, and were living at that property as your "ordinary place of residence" at July 1 of the rating year, you may be eligible for a State Government rebate on your Rates and Emergency Services Levy.

  • Pensioner Concession Card;
  • WA State Seniors Card;
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card and WA State Seniors Card; or
  • State Concession Card

Applications for the rebate can be made at the City of Albany office on North Road or via the Water Corporation online - click here. The Water Corporation will then forward the application to the City of Albany for processing.

You may also be entitled to a rebate if you have life tenancy under the terms of a will.

How much will I receive for my Pensioner or Senior rate rebate?

Pensioners, Commonwealth Seniors and State Concession card holders may be entitled to a rates rebate of up to 50% (up to the maximum cap) plus 50% rebate on Emergency Services Levy.

WA Senior Card holders may be entitled to a rates rebate of 25% (up to the maximum cap) plus 25% rebate on Emergency Services Levy.

The State Government Rates Rebate Cap for 2018/19 was $750 for Pensioners and Commonwealth Seniors and $100 for WA Senior Card holders.  If the calculated rates rebate is less than the cap, then the lesser amount applies.

Generally pensioners and seniors would be entitled to the full amount.

However, a number of factors are taken into consideration when determining the rebate.  If your property is used for farming or commercial purposes, there are multiple dwellings on the property or there is an owner who is not entitled, then the rebate will be adjusted accordingly.

Note that there is no cap on Emergency Services Levy and no rebate given on refuse or waste charges.

Am I already registered for a pensioner or seniors rate rebate?

If you have already registered with the City of Albany, the rebate will be shown on your notice as “State Government Rebate”.

If you were previously registered for a Seniors Rebate and you now have a Pensioner Concession Card or Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, you should complete a new application to receive an increased rebate amount.

Can I defer my rates?

You may be entitled to defer your rates and emergency services levy under certain circumstances.  Please contact our Rates Department to discuss whether you are entitled. There is no rebate or deferment on refuse and waste charges so these must be paid annually.