Where to start

Development approval (sometimes called planning approval) and building permits are two separate application processes that might be needed before a development can commence.

Development includes: the erection, construction or demolition of any building or structure; erection, placement and display of advertisements or signs; building alterations or additions; excavation work; and establishing or changing the use of a site.

In some cases both development and building approvals will be required.  In those cases, development approval must be applied for and granted before a building permit can be issued.

Development approval is always needed for development within heritage listed areas or if affecting heritage listed buildings. Information to assist you is provided below.

On this page, see what is required to apply for development approval and also information about some common developments, including subdivision.

There may be times when these approvals are not needed as the development may be exempt from this requirement. Refer to FAQ & Information Sheets, Policies, Planning Services and Building Services for more information.

If you are considering undergoing work on your property or starting/changing a use (e.g. home business) please check if you require development approval by contacting the City of Albany by:

Phone 6820 3040


or by visiting the Health, Building and Planning enquiry counter at the City of Albany North Road Administration building between the hours of 9am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday.

Apply for a Building Permit

Refer to Building Services for application forms and advice

Online applications – Click to apply/register for a Building Permit.

Apply for Development Approval

Refer to Planning Services

If an Application for Development Approval is refused, the owner or applicant has the right to appeal the decision at the State Administrative Tribunal, in accordance with the Planning and Development Act 2005 (WA) Part 14. An appeal should be lodged within 28 days of determination.

Planning Officers are available to discuss planning proposals and preliminary plans either in person at our North Road office Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.30pm or by phone on 6820 3040. Alternatively our Planning Department can be contacted via email planning@albany.wa.gov.au.

Subdivisions and Amalgamations

The zoning and size of your property will affect its suitability for subdivision. Once it has been determined that you can subdivide, we recommend that you contact a land surveyor and/or a planning consultant for further discussion and advice. Please contact our Planning Department or visit us at the Planning Building and Health counter at our North Road office for further advice.

The Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) is responsible for approving all subdivision applications in Western Australia. The WAPC has introduced a standard plan process for strata, freehold and survey strata subdivisions.

All subdivision applications are referred to The City of Albany to provide comment and recommended conditions.

Subdivision, amalgamation and strata title application and process information can be obtained from the Western Australian Planning Commission.

Subdivision and Development Guidelines

The City of Albany has adopted the Local Government Guidelines for Subdivisional Development (IPWEA, November 2017) as the basis for the design and construction of all civil infrastructure associated with the subdivision and development of land.

The City of Albany's Subdivision & Development Guidelines 2018 has been developed as an addendum to the IPWEA Guidelines.

Subdivision and Development Guidelines 2018

City of Albany Standard Drawings

Subdivision Clearance Request

Before your subdivision can be endorsed by the Western Australian Planning Commission and titles issued, you will need to apply to the City of Albany for a subdivision clearance.

  • You will need to complete a Subdivision Clearance Request Form (form is within the Subdivision and Development Guidelines – see above);
  • Submit the required fee to the City of Albany; and
  • The City will inspect the property and ensure the conditions set out by the Western Australian Planning Commission have been met.