Skip to Content

Pensioner & Senior Rate Rebates

The Government of Western Australia provides a rebate to persons who meet the eligibility criteria set out under the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992.

Am I eligible for a Pensioner or Seniors rate rebate?

If you hold one of the following cards, are a property owner, and were living at that property as your "ordinary place of residence" at July 1 of the rating year, you may be eligible for a State Government rebate on your Rates and Emergency Services Levy.

  • Pensioner Concession Card;
  • WA State Seniors Card;
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card and WA State Seniors Card; or
  • State Concession Card

You may also be entitled to a rebate if you have life tenancy under the terms of a will.

Apply for a Pensioner or Seniors rate rebate

Applications for the rebate can be made...

How much will I receive for my Pensioner or Senior rate rebate?

Pensioners, Commonwealth Seniors and State Concession card holders may be entitled to a rates rebate of up to 50% (to a maximum of $750) plus 50% rebate on Emergency Services Levy.

WA Senior Card holders may be entitled to a rates rebate of 25% (to a maximum of $100) plus 25% rebate on Emergency Services Levy.

The State Government applies an annual Rates Rebate Cap - for 2023/24 the cap is $750 for Pensioners and Commonwealth Seniors and $100 for WA Senior Card holders.  If the calculated rates rebate is less than the cap, then the lesser amount applies.  There is no cap on the Emergency Services Levy.

Generally eligible pensioners and seniors are entitled to a full rebate.

However, a number of factors are taken into consideration when determining the rebate.  If your property is used for farming or commercial purposes, there are multiple dwellings on the property or there is an owner who is not entitled, then the rebate will be adjusted accordingly.

There is no rebate on the waste charges.

Am I already registered for a pensioner or seniors rate rebate?

If you have already registered with the City of Albany, the rebate will be shown on your notice as “State Government Rebate”.

If you were previously registered for a Seniors Rebate and you now have a Pensioner Concession Card or Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, you should complete a new application to receive the correct rebate.

If you have purchased a new property and you had a rebate on the property that you sold, the rebate does not automatically transfer to your new property.  You must complete a new application.

Can I defer my rates?

You may be entitled to defer your rates and emergency services levy under certain circumstances. If the rates and ESL are deferred, the rebate is forfeited. There is no deferment on the waste charges so these must be paid annually. Please contact our Rates Department for further information.